BiF-4 Insights – John Wolpert – Best Buy
Impact of BBC Connections television program on his life (hosted by James Burke).
We have to share, but what do we share?
- Do we know what we need to share?
- It is one thing to share inventions, it is another thing to share intentions
An innovation changes how people organize, how they do business, and/or how people live their lives.
- Average lifespan of an innovation program is three years, maybe five years at the outside, but Alphaworks is now thirteen years old
- Reason is the crossing of the membrane of the firm and connecting to external companies
- This makes it more valuable and difficult to dislodge
- Alphaworks -> Extreme Blue -> Innovation XChange Network -> YCombinator
Extreme Blue is a ten year old talent program:
- Reported to heads of HR, Technology, and Business Strategy
Innovation XChange Network in Australia
- Hiring trusted intermediaries and implanting people into companies that could share with other implanted intermediaries but not with companies
- We brought together a healthcare company and technology company looking for overlap
- People started sharing nouns (their technology) and then crickets chirping
- People wouldn’t share their verbs (their intentions)
- We should have brought the interns (experienced people have a hesitancy to share)
There are always that 1-3% chomping at the bit to start something new.
The talent program I’ve built for Best Buy involves some of the same keys as the Extreme Blue program I worked on for IBM:
- 10 weeks
- Live and work together
- A small investment
- Give people more money and they’ll spend it
- Restricting the investment and basing additional funding on meeting certain milestones is better
For more information on the talk, go here.
NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!
Cultivating food from the air we breathe: How decades-old NASA technology is still delivering disruptive tech today
The “Replicator” machine seen on the “Star Trek: The Next Generation” television series was imagined as a 24th century technology…Read More
The first book in the world made on blockchain, the first ‘decentralized’ discussion on leadership, completely shared and co-created with…Read More