What are you doing to innovate for an obese America?
The Wall Street Journal reported this week on the huge price being paid in health-care spending due to America’s rapidly expanding waistlines: $147B.
How are we as innovators leading companies to address this head on?
Lecturing, hectoring and “education” aren’t changing what’s on America’s plate, or at least not quickly enough.
I recommend reading Hank Cardello’s book “Stuffed: An Insider’s Look at Who’s Really Making America Fat.” As a former exec at Coca-Cola and General Mills, he knows the institutional challenges of bringing Health & Wellness (H&W) innovation to market. He also has smart strategies for overcoming them.
Similarly at our firm, we refuse to give up on major Food & Beverage (F&B) category innovation that improves health.
We’re especially excited by five H&W vectors we believe are poised to explode in F&B innovation. We advocate innovating with…
- The Pleasure Principle – Healthier food that tastes better than not-so-healthy choices
- Next-Wave Hybrids – Transferring ingredients from one F&B use to another to improve H&W outcomes
- Ancient Natural Miracles – Going beyond green tea into previously obscure Asian fruits, cocoa and more
- Process Leaps – Skipping incremental change to create a whole new thing, made a whole new way
- Right For You = RFY – Appealing to needs for individuality, authenticity and community around food choices
Our 4-minute video “Beyond BFY: The New Spectrum in Heath & Wellness Innovation” outlines these vectors along with current and upcoming examples:
Eager to learn what you’re exploring to grow your bottom line whilst shrinking America’s bottoms!
Joy Bergmann is Communications Director at innovation consultancy Fahrenheit 212 in New York.
NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!
Cultivating food from the air we breathe: How decades-old NASA technology is still delivering disruptive tech today
The “Replicator” machine seen on the “Star Trek: The Next Generation” television series was imagined as a 24th century technology…Read More
The first book in the world made on blockchain, the first ‘decentralized’ discussion on leadership, completely shared and co-created with…Read More