Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks

Newspaper Coverage of Copenhagen Climate Change Conference
by Kevin Roberts

Newspapers are up against it in the Participation Economy, the Internet-powered revolution of joining in, taking part, sharing and joy. For the modern consumer, the idea of reading newspapers full of day-old news hand-picked by faceless editors seems, well, very early 90’s.

These days we get to be our own editor-in-chief, selecting the bits of news, opinion and analysis that best suit our tastes, politics or predilections. The news business still hasn’t worked out a way to make this work financially, but I suspect that will change soon. Free is not sustainable. Walter Isaacson, former editor of Time, proposed one possible approach to the issue of payment here.

There may be some spark in the old format yet. On the first day of the climate talks in Copenhagen, 56 newspapers in 20 languages pulled off a dramatic and high-impact stunt. They simultaneously published a front-page editorial calling for action on climate change. Papers included The Guardian (which got the ball rolling), the Toronto Star, the Jakarta Globe, Le Monde, The Brunei Times, la Repubblica and The Cambodia Daily.

This degree of collaboration across geographical and political boundaries carries a high degree of difficulty. Whatever you think about the editorial itself, the scale and audacity of the maneuver is impressive. The old-school newspaper editorial is long past its heyday, but – on this occasion at least – some creative thinking and collaboration breathed some life back into the art-form.

Image Source: https://babycreativeblog.com/copenhagen/

Kevin RobertsKevin Roberts is the CEO worldwide of The Lovemarks Company, Saatchi & Saatchi. For more information on Kevin, please go to www.saatchikevin.com. To see this blog at its original source, please go to www.krconnect.blogspot.com.

Posted in

Kevin Roberts

NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!

Categories

LATEST BLOGS

How to Win in the Disruptive Economy: A New Playbook for Success

By Greg Heist | June 4, 2021

Leo Tilman and Charles Jacoby write in their book Agility: How to Navigate the Unknown and Seize Opportunity in a…

Read More

DEVELOPING A HUMAN-CENTRIC FUTURE-FIT FOCUS

By Janet Sernack | May 18, 2021

In a recent article “Organizing for the future: Nine keys to becoming a future-ready company” McKinsey and Co, suggested that…

Read More