12 Ways to Make Bad Decisions
There are three things that continue to astound me about most organizations: The cro-magnon way performance reviews are done; the pitiful way brainstorm sessions are run and; the voodoo way decisions are made. What follows is an elaboration of the third — twelve all-too-common phenomena that contribute to funky decision making. (As you read, think about the teams you work most closely with — and which of these behaviors describes them).
- Selective Search for Evidence: Gathering facts that support pre-determined conclusions, but disregard other facts that support different conclusions.
- Premature Termination of Search for Evidence: Accepting the first alternative that looks like it might work.
- Inertia: Being unwilling to change old thought patterns.
- Selective Perception: Prematurely screening out information not assumed to be useful.
- Wishful Thinking: Wanting to see things in a positive light.
- Recency Effect: Putting undue attention on recent information and experience while minimizing the value of information collected in the past.
- Repetition Bias: Believing what’s been stated the most often and by the greatest number of sources.
- Anchoring and Adjustment: Being unduly influenced by initial information that shapes your view of subsequent information.
- Group Think: Conforming to peer pressure or the opinions of the majority.
- Source Credibility: Rejecting input from sources prematurely judged to not be credible (or not “cool” or “in sync with the way you do business.”)
- Attribution Asymmetry: Attributing success to your team’s abilities and talents, but attributing failures to bad luck and external factors.
- Role Fulfillment: Conforming to the decision making expectations others have of someone in your position.
Don’t miss an article (2,150+) – Subscribe to our RSS feed and join our Continuous Innovation group!
Mitch Ditkoff is the Co-Founder and President of Idea Champions and the author of “Awake at the Wheel”, as well as the very popular Heart of Innovation blog.
NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!
What is digital upskilling and why is it important?
Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash In a world of business that never stands…Read More
How Brexit Has Affected UK E-commerce Businesses
Photo by Zyro on Unsplash The popularity of online shopping was already growing at an impressive rate – and…Read More
Leave a Comment