Start-up Chile: go start-ups, go!
Editor’s note: see summary on Netexplo Digital Start-ups 2014.
Nicolas Shea, as founder of Start-up Chile, initiated a peculiar venture: its aim is to welcome startups in Chile, helping them to start their business using Chile as a platform to go global. Beyond mundane money appeal, Nicolas created a terrific game play for start-ups, valuating entrepreneurs’ social activities, resulting in building social equity. Below are a few extracts from Nicolas’ presentation at Netexplo.
Start-up Chile mission
Start-up Chile is a program on behalf of the Chilean Government that seeks to attract early-stage companies to start their business using Chile as a platform to go global. Its mission is to transform Chile into the leading innovation and entrepreneurial hub of LatAm. There are various incentives:
- One year work Visa;
- $40,000 nonequity seed capital;
- soft Landing and hospitality;
- Latin America networking and market access;
- Chilean cultural experience, language learning, and history making opportunity.
The magic social trick
A creative social gaming triggers start-ups networking:
- Start-up Chile asks all hosted start-ups to engage in social impact activities with the community;
- It shows Chileans that ‘it is possible’;
- Dedicated activities are focused on schools, sharing their experience as entrepreneurs;
- Giving specific tools such as business model, lean canvas, and more.
Start-ups entrepreneurs come from every part of the world:
Capital invested is over $50 m USD, 8 companies were acquired, and 1025 jobs created. Let’s zoom on some succes stories among the yearly selection of 300 start-ups:
1. WeHostels, ‘finding a hotel right from your phone’
2. Pact, collecting fines when you don’t achieve your weekly exercise goals, and pays out real money when you do!
3. SaferTaxi, ‘Book a taxi fast and free, and travel safely’
Accelerate your business while transforming a country, and experience a life-changing moment!
Next round is June 2014: Startupchile.org/apply
Choose how you want the latest innovation content delivered to you:
- Daily — RSS Feed — Email — Twitter — Facebook — Linkedin Today
- Weekly — Email Newsletter — Free Magazine — Linkedin Group
Nicolas is a senior VP at Orange Innovation Group. Serial innovator, he set-up creative BU with an international challenge, and a focus on new TV experiences. Forward thinker, he completed a thesis on “Rapid Innovation”, implemented successfully at Orange, and further developed at nbry.wordpress.com. He tweets @nicobry
NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!
Recently Ford announced an electric truck for the masses, the Ford F-150 Lightning, with up to 300 miles of range…Read More
CEOs come and CEOs go. Some – like Steve Jobs at Apple, Jeff Bezos at Amazon, and Richard Branson at…Read More