Start-up Chile: go start-ups, go!
Editor’s note: see summary on Netexplo Digital Start-ups 2014.
Nicolas Shea, as founder of Start-up Chile, initiated a peculiar venture: its aim is to welcome startups in Chile, helping them to start their business using Chile as a platform to go global. Beyond mundane money appeal, Nicolas created a terrific game play for start-ups, valuating entrepreneurs’ social activities, resulting in building social equity. Below are a few extracts from Nicolas’ presentation at Netexplo.
Start-up Chile mission
Start-up Chile is a program on behalf of the Chilean Government that seeks to attract early-stage companies to start their business using Chile as a platform to go global. Its mission is to transform Chile into the leading innovation and entrepreneurial hub of LatAm. There are various incentives:
- One year work Visa;
- $40,000 nonequity seed capital;
- soft Landing and hospitality;
- Latin America networking and market access;
- Chilean cultural experience, language learning, and history making opportunity.
The magic social trick
A creative social gaming triggers start-ups networking:
- Start-up Chile asks all hosted start-ups to engage in social impact activities with the community;
- It shows Chileans that ‘it is possible’;
- Dedicated activities are focused on schools, sharing their experience as entrepreneurs;
- Giving specific tools such as business model, lean canvas, and more.
Start-ups entrepreneurs come from every part of the world:
Capital invested is over $50 m USD, 8 companies were acquired, and 1025 jobs created. Let’s zoom on some succes stories among the yearly selection of 300 start-ups:
1. WeHostels, ‘finding a hotel right from your phone’
2. Pact, collecting fines when you don’t achieve your weekly exercise goals, and pays out real money when you do!
3. SaferTaxi, ‘Book a taxi fast and free, and travel safely’
Accelerate your business while transforming a country, and experience a life-changing moment!
Next round is June 2014: Startupchile.org/apply
Choose how you want the latest innovation content delivered to you:
- Daily — RSS Feed — Email — Twitter — Facebook — Linkedin Today
- Weekly — Email Newsletter — Free Magazine — Linkedin Group
Nicolas is a senior VP at Orange Innovation Group. Serial innovator, he set-up creative BU with an international challenge, and a focus on new TV experiences. Forward thinker, he completed a thesis on “Rapid Innovation”, implemented successfully at Orange, and further developed at nbry.wordpress.com. He tweets @nicobry
NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!
When sustainability is on the agenda, you’re likely to hear many terms mentioned that you may or may not be…Read More
Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash Working remotely became a part of everyday life for many people all over the…Read More