The Keys to Leading Innovation, with Greg Brandeau
The Innovation Engine is a podcast series that discusses innovation through the lenses of corporate leadership, company culture, and emerging trends and technologies. The podcast features weekly interviews with best-selling authors, C-Level executives, and innovation experts from around the world. It is available on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, and SoundCloud.
Greg Brandeau joins us on this episode of The Innovation Engine to look at some of the keys to successfully lead innovation. We talk about the importance of fostering a supportive environment that rewards risk-taking; why it’s more important for executives to be ringleaders rather than visionaries; and the importance of creative abrasion, creative agility, and creative resolution in the innovation process.
Greg is the co-author of Collective Genius: The Art and Practice of Leading Innovation, which has received a number of accolades, including being named one of “The 20 Best Business Books to Read this Summer” in 2014 by Business Insider. He is the former COO and President of Maker Media, as well as the former CTO of The Walt Disney Studios and a former executive at Pixar.
Here are some highlights from this week’s episode of the podcast:
- Greg tells the story of his first encounter with Steve Jobs, when the Apple co-founder gave him a test to see whether Greg would challenge his ideas
- We talk about how Bill Coughran, a SVP of Engineering at Google, was able to lead innovation when managing two different teams solving a highly complex problem in different ways
- We go over the framework that Collective Genius gives for building organizations that have innovation embedded into their DNA
- Greg shares a story from his days at Pixar – a year’s worth of work on Toy Story 2 was erased, as well as all but one backup – that illustrates the importance of “psychological safety” in the workplace
Listen to the Episode
Interested in hearing more? Tune in to the full episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast via the Stitcher Radio link below:
You can also download and subscribe to The Innovation Engine on iTunes or tune in via the podcast’s home on Stitcher Radio or SoundCloud to listen online, via Android or iOS, or on any device supporting a mobile browser.
Will Sherlin is the Digital Marketing Manager at 3Pillar Global, a leading provider of outsourced software development services for companies in the Media & Entertainment, Health & Wellness, Financial Services, and Information Services verticals. He oversees all content development for the 3Pillar website, hosts and produces the company’s weekly Innovation Engine podcast, and oversees the company’s social media properties.
image credit: Kennisland
- Daily — RSS Feed — Email — Twitter — Facebook — Linkedin Today
- Weekly — Email Newsletter — Free Magazine — Linkedin Group
Will Sherlin is the Digital Marketing Manager at 3Pillar Global, a leading provider of outsourced software development services for companies in the Media & Entertainment, Health & Wellness, Financial Services, and Information Services verticals. He oversees all content development for the 3Pillar website, hosts and produces the company’s weekly “Innovation Engine” podcast, and oversees the company’s social media properties.
NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!
Photo by Jenny Ueberberg on Unsplash In the last few years, electric vehicles (EVs) have become more and more…Read More