It’s an oxymoron. It really takes some discipline to disrupt. This is your flow: who, how, what.
A one-minute guide to disruption is already disruption per se. This is my formula, in three simple steps.
- Disrupt the Who. Your first step is to recruit the right people, those who are fit for the challenge. There is no manager for all seasons. You are going to war? Look for your Churchill. You are growing fast? Get the best car salesman in the county. Most importantly, hire “people that you would enjoy having lunch with, in your private life” (proudly stolen from Johanna Seeliger). Great performers and good people: this is the secret sauce.
- Disrupt the How. Your second step is to minimize your processes. Be as lean as you can. Empower those great leaders that you have, and educate them to make tough choices, once the ambition is shared with them. It’s not chaos. You have the minimum set of rules that will allow you not to drift. Whatever is not absolutely essential for the CEO to see needs to be in market yesterday.
- Disrupt the What. We usually start from product portfolio when trying to solve a company’s problems. You get to the “what” only after teams and processes. Amazing product and consumer journeys will come from the vision and purpose. Share “why” you exist.
An example, please.
- Mr. Ferrari’s first step? He hired the best engineer he knew, and “sold” him a dream.
- Mr. Ferrari’s brief for the F40 Supercar? Simple, empowering, sexy. Make me the best, fastest, most beautiful car in the world.
- Mr. Ferrari’s “what”? No continuous disruption needed when you have visionaries, who are not chained by silly rules, catering to supercars’ heads. They will perfect that dream of yours.
Take risks on people and process. Take risks on the vision. Respect product and fans.
Francesco Pagano is a CMO with 20+ years of experience in FMCG and Fashion, gained between EMEA and the Americas. He is passionate about innovation, brand management, brand communication, and international business. He is always up for irresistible product concepts, ultimate communication via integrated campaigns, and great Italian food.
ABOUT US: We believe in either disrupting or being disrupted, and we chose to disrupt. At the Disruptor League, we want to know you, surprise you and make it easy for you to be a disruptor, too. It’s not all talk; we are changing the world. Join us to see how. We will teach you to use your superpowers and unite with us to change the world. The Disruptor League offers a unique environment to develop, to practice, and to embed design and innovation into your life. You will connect with others who want to make a difference. Relationships will grow, and problems will be solved.
NEVER MISS ANOTHER NEWSLETTER!
Like all robots, a Roomba does its job with no sense of success or failure outside of completing its mission. How could we be like the Roomba?Read More
In our blog “Leading and Managing Transitional Change” we described how leaders could help their people to transition through the fears and…Read More